The Bitterness Of Mortality Is Mine 2 Endure. . .

I Choose A Mortal Life For You, Estel . . . . For Now . . . And For Eternity . . .

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Sewing Machine, Celeborn & Dressmaking Class
Finally taken back my Sewing Machine and is now SGD75 poorer. The Motor had been changed and the shop had oiled and clean up my sewing machine a bit. Also learned from the shopkeeper how to use certain stitches like the ->->-> (Turn Stitch Length Dial to the Green SS) and Button Hole (Turn Stitch Length Dial to Orange between 1 & 0 and Pattern to 1-2-3-4). Also bought the Button Hole Foot for SGD12 >__<>2-3 months (if used daily).

The shopkeeper also told me that it's not possible for the Brother Innovis N80 from Japan to sold in Singapore due to different in electric current. Hai.....guess I'll just have to try to save SGD700++ and get a normal and Electronic Brother Sewing Machine rather than the Innovis Computerized Sewing Machine I been drooling over in the Goli Loli Mook.

Over to Celeborn, I just noticed that he actually had a 2nd Outfit while doing research for my AnĂ¡rien Imladris Outfit. It was worn in the Deleted Scene of The Two Tower (aka scenes related to Arwen at Helm's Deep) when Elrond came to Lothlorien to discuss with him on sending an Army to Helm's Deep. This picture is the give away:


Just look at it properly. There seems to be some kind of vest on the chest with a V-Patterning/Yoke while the bottom of the Robe looked different from the one he worn in Fellowship Of The Ring. The lower sleeves also seems more like Arwen Rivendell Outfit lower sleeves. The same sash and belt is worn over the Robe tho'.

Hmmm.....wonder if he wore this one or the FOTR one at Grey Haven.

As for my Dressmaking Class, this is what I got to say about it at the Haldir's Elven Archer Forum:

I said previously that I'm taking Dressmaking Class now at the Community Centre and yesterday was my first day. The teacher turned out very friendly and the class was small so more attention to each student! I'm taking Elementary first (since I still lack the basics and it seems to be the "pre-requirement" to enter Intermediate which became the "pre-requirement" to enter Advance ) so there isn't much advance thing.

So here's my weekly report on what learned there:

1) Supplies

No problem there tho' I got to know that I'm missing this dressmaking ruler which will be important and widely used during the class. It's like my L-Shape Ruler but shorter on one end.

Also got to know my bursting sewing box lack 1 important thing: Blue & Red Color Pencil.

2) Basic Stitches

Learned something new and shortcuts to what I had been doing for years.
New Stitches learned will be the Tailor Tack (used to mark on cloth that can't
be marked using Tailor's Chalk
) and Herringbone Stitch (for Hemming).

Shortcuts will be for the Serging and Running Stitch (which I previously wrongly called the Invisible Stitch). When doing the 2, suppose to fold the hem (against the
fold for the hem
) and if I had known that 11 years ago, I could had finished
doing my sewing during Home Economic Class in a fraction of the time!

3) Taking Measurements

I learned how to take measurements for making skirt.

  • Length (Waist to where u want the end to be)
  • Waist (Tie a rope snugly over the waist to indicate its position and allow proper measurement of the waist width)
  • Waist to Hip (to know where to make snug)
  • Hip
  • BustWidth (to know which position to add Darts)
  • Basque Round/Tummy Circumference (in case have big tummy)

4) Elementary Class Projects

Make Skirts........

All kind of skirts.......

Okay, in a way it's good cause we are doing it from scratch so learning how to draft the pattern using the measurements taken in 3). And the teacher did say we are going to do Pleated Skirts in later classes and that is something I'll love to learn how to do properly (still got lots of skirts to do for my Anime & Harry Potter Characters costumes)

First project: Either A-Line or Straight or Tight Skirt. Got to draft the pattern till the next lesson and I hope I got enough Brown Paper at home as it was suppose to be used to create the pattern for my Elven Archer Underskirt and a couple other stuffs.

Ya, the only new things seems to be about 1/2 of the whole lessons but at least I'm gonna learn how to draft a pattern from scratch instead of solely depending on commercial patterns. Bet the knowledge gonna be very useful in modifying the commercial pattern even better to fit me.

Ps: Got to know my much needed Mandarin Collar is taught in Advance Dressmaking Class. Think the same for Princess Cut/Seam. Back to the practicing board to figure out what the heck my Butterick Pattern is saying about attaching the collar to the tunic and trying out Princess Cut on my own. I can get so dumb sometimes when it comes to certain things.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home